Tuesday, January 15, 2013

A warning to all who would buy LeapFrog products (as told by an email reply to customer service)

Thanks for responding. Unfortunately, the "remove device" function is located under the "general" tab and not the "advanced" tab as you stated. Also, once you remove the devices under settings the "OK" button does not highlight. That leaves me with only the option of clicking the "Cancel" button, which surely contributes to the perseverance of my four Tag Junior profiles and two My Pal Violet profiles (again, we only own one of each of these toys).

I even deleted the app, deleted my child from the account via your website, and deleted the connected toys from there. I reloaded the LeapFrog Connect application after this, and lo and behold the six profiles were still there. Childless. Staring. Mocking. Of course I tried all of this before contacting you, because I'm not computer illiterate as those who work for LeapFrog must be. It's a tough economy. I guess everyone's slacker nephew needs a job, even if it means making the jump from pizza delivery boy to software programmer in the same week. So now my question is twofold: "Should I sell these toys on Craigslist or Ebay?" and "How do I delete my parent account permanently?"

I guess I have a third question, too. Do you have the number to VTech? My kid has a few of their toys, and she has learned quite a bit from them. The only thing LeapFrog toys have taught her are the colorful expletives daddy uses when using your horrendous software.

I know this isn't your fault, Arjay F., but please pass my sincerest "f#%k you very much" to your superiors as high as it'll go. Those are the people I blame for the train wreck they call LeapFrog Connect. Everyone wants to adopt the Apple model of controlling every aspect of their customers' experience when using their products, but the product has to be intuitive and functional for everyone using them if this strategy is going to work. The toys are made FOR children, but it doesn't mean the software should be designed BY children.

Now if you'll just let me know how to delete my parent account so I can mentally sever myself from this experience, I'll show myself the door.

0 comments: